Tuesday, February 9, 2010

people.... THE SHRIMP IS ON THE BARBIE





After 5 glorious days of skiing, hiking, wining, and dining South Lake Tahoe, I said my final goodbyes to Josh and boarded the plane to Los Angeles where I was to meet up with old pal Lauralee. We made a short stop in Mammoth Lakes, CA which was a small town in a valley surrounded by giant white mountains and was dotted with small frozen lakes. I was getting a little worried because Laura had called me earlier that day and told me that she missed her flight and might not be leaving until 2 days later so I was sort of worried. But, when I arrived in LA, I went and checked the arrivals and thankfully one of them was hers! I was so cheesed.After waiting around for a few hours in the terminal with Laura, her friend Lindsey, and their friend Chris, we all loaded into the belly of our Boeing 777 and began the 13 hour and 58 minute journey to the land down under. Sitting in one place for 13 hours and 58 minutes isn't actually as hard as it sounds. I mean, they serve three meals, snacks, and drinks. Everyone has a personal touch screen computer in front of them with movies, tv shows, and games. I did in fact finish my twilight book of which I am not ashamed.

After arriving at the airport, we went through customs, found our bags, and loa
ded them on to carts in search of the Happy Cabby, our transportation to Newcastle. I have to admit, our bloke was a seriously happy cabby and acted more like a tour guide for us on our 2 hour drive to our house in Newcastle. The city of Sydney was wonderful, everything was very quaint on a large scale and was aesthetically accented with tropical trees, flowers, and other sorts of plants. We drove for miles through what looked like hilly jungles without a scrap civilization in sight.
It was beautiful. And it was hot. I feel like I've been melting all day.
I was so excited when we arrived at the house. It is a 3 story house and one of the oldest buildings in o
ur suburb. It is built completely from red brick and is accented with wrought iron doors and fixtures giving it a very rustic appearance.
I share a room with Brandi on the 3rd floor and we have a large balcony that has a fantastic view of the city, the harbor, and the ocean. I'll be posting some pictures of it when I get a chance.

After settling in for a bit, Jenny (our landlady) gave us a ride to the mall. It was a very different mall -- instead of regular stores there was a post office, a butcher shop, a bakery, and other sorts of food specific stores. I also purchased a phone while I was there.

All 5 of us (Laura, Brandi, Lindsey, Devon, and I) are now at the Newcastle student hub checkin' our emailz and trying to stay awake long enough to go to bed at a decent time.

I miss everyone a lot and I wouldn't be here without the love and support of my family and friends.

Elyse

1 comments:

Ginger Gibson said...

After seeing this title for this day. . .I'm headed to Outback Steakhouse. Maybe I'll take your mom with me, and we'll talk about you and Laura.

Post a Comment